Blog

Resources

Pinterest

Earth Day Fun

Earth Day originated on April 22, 1970 as a demonstration led by Gaylord Nelson with a call to action for Americans to begin paying attention to the environment.  People around the world continue to celebrate Earth Day every year on April 22 and I'm sure that you'll be leading your students or children in some activities to help them become more environmentally aware.


As I was planning Earth Day activities for us to do in homeschool, I first reflected on why I choose to celebrate Earth Day with my kiddos.  The main reason goes back to the creation of this earth.  God created this earth as our temporary home and I want to be a good steward and care for it as best as I can.


Plus these two guys (and their little sis) LOVE to be outside!  I want to pass on to them a desire to appreciate the beauty of nature and to instill in them habits that will help them best care for our earth. I plan to build environmental awareness in developmentally appropriate ways.


During the planning process, I came across Earth Day Network.  This website shares that this year's focus for Earth Day is Environmental and Climate Literacy.  There is a free toolkit that you can download that includes integrated and web-based activities to help you teach your students about climate change.  If you click the logo below, it will take you to the toolkit.




In addition to some of the activities from the Earth Day Network Toolkit, we'll do plenty of reading about topics like the Three R's:  Reduce, Recycle, and Reuse. A great nonfiction book to read to your kids is called Let's Find Out About Recycling by Dr. Mike Goldsmith.  In addition to great content, there are lots of text features that you can use to reinforce expository text structure.


Another thing we'll do, which is super simple, but my kids will love is to plant some flowers and some veggies.  Planting flowers will give us opportunities to talk about the benefits of plants to our environment and about how they remove pollutants from the air.  We are also going to plant a few vegetables in container gardens.  They love caring for the vegetables, watching them grow, and enjoying the harvest when they time comes.


I've got a few more projects planned for Earth Day that I'll share with you later but I want to leave you with a freebie that you can use with your own students.  Yay!!   My We Heart Earth Day Freebies pack includes a short reading selection (Lexile 700) that focuses on the 3 R's.  There is an accompanying worksheet that has students identify the definitions of three vocabulary words and two comprehension questions to check for understanding.  This would be a great morning work activity or just a supplement to any of your Earth Day learning.  In addition to the comprehension selection, there is a poster that you can print for your kiddos to complete where they can illustrate and write about ways they plan to reduce, reuse, and recycle.


If you'd like to have this freebie, just click on the picture below to grab it from my TPT store.


How are you planning to celebrate Earth Day?  What resources will you use with your kiddos?  I'd love to hear from you!

15 comments

  1. Do you require HP printer setup for your mac operating system? 123moviesfree.pictures

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this blog, Also, Get more guidelines on our website check it.
    story in hindi love 2

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am thankful to you for sharing this plethora of useful information. Know theBest Dry Dog Food for Large Dogs, I found this resource utmost beneficial for me. Thanks a lot for hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this blog! Good to read The only purpose of sharing this article was to inform you about webcams. Visit this article
    firefox webcam not working.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It seems you all had a good time enjoyed a lot. Mentioning the recycling thing was also good. Now it's time to avail executive cars birmingham for more information.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This activity looks very nice. I loved to do these activites, Please share more activites like this. Now it's time to avail Hi Vis Hoodie for more information.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent posts. I always learn new things from your blog you always provide us quality information. Thanks for sharing this blog. Now it's time to avail Siding Services In Alachua County FL for more information.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am glad to read this blog. This is a very interesting blog. It great initiative by you to guide children about our beautiful earth. Keep it up. Now it's time to avail Luxury Limo Servcies in Los Angles for more information.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love finding ways to celebrate Earth Day while also being mindful of my health. One great idea is to schedule an online doctor appointment for a check-up or to discuss any environmental factors that may be impacting your health. It's a simple way to prioritize both the planet and your well-being. Happy Earth Day! 🌍🌱

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Earth Day Fun sounds amazing! Just like celebrating our planet, embracing sustainable practices with ERP software in Saudi Arabia is essential. It can optimize resource management and reduce environmental impact. Let's make every day Earth Day with eco-friendly ERP solutions! 🌎 #ERPSaudiArabia #Sustainability"

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope I celebrate Earth Day with my kiddos. but its impossible beacuse now i am busy to find writer who write my critical review. so kindly help me in my research.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love how practical and actionable your posts are. After reading about EARTH DAY FUN, Your guidance is always on point. check our best 99logos also Thank you for sharing your expertise!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Earth Day fun takes on a whole new dimension with the incorporation of sonic components. Just as visual activities inspire, sound experiences connect us to nature. Exploring the auditory beauty of our planet enhances our appreciation. An engaging post that underscores the multisensory joy of celebrating Earth Day. Let's cherish our world's visual and sonic wonders

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, this Earth Day celebration sounds like a blast! 🌍🎉 By the way, I'm currently planning on moving to UK, and I can't wait to explore and contribute to the sustainable practices there. Any tips or suggestions for a newbie like me? Let's keep our planet green and clean!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top